Amazing facts about India
Much has been spoken and written about the different fascinating aspects of India. Yet, we keep coming across interesting and amazing facts about one of the world’s oldest and largest civilization named India. These facts only make us realize the important role India has played in the evolution of world civilization. The official Sanskrit name for India is Bharat whereas the name ‘India’ was derived from the river Indus. The country is also known as Hindustan which basically refers to combination of two words, Sindhu and Hindu. Let’s have a look at some of the amazing facts about this glorious country.
• We all know how crucial a part number system plays in world’s economy and India is the country that invented the number system. Great Indian scientist Aryabhatta invented the digit zero.
• Ancient Indian language Sanskrit is considered as the mother of all higher languages. It is also believed to be the most suitable language for computer software because of its precise nature.
• Important mathematical subjects like Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus originated in India. Great mind game chess was also a gift to the world by Indians.
• India is the largest democracy in the world.
• Indian railway system is the largest employer in the world with over one million employees.
• The earliest school of medicine known to mankind is Ayurveda. It was invented by the father of medicine Charaka around 2500 years ago in the ancient India.
• The World’s first university was established in Takshila in 700 BC which was attended by more than 10,500 students from all over the world.
• The first person to accurately calculate the time taken by the earth to orbit the sun was Bhaskaracharya. His calculation was 365.258756484 days and it took place during the 5th century.
• Indian Mathematician Budhayana was the first person to accurately figure out the value of “pi” much before the European mathematicians claimed to solve the puzzle.
• Sushruta is regarded as the father of surgery. He conducted complicated surgeries like cataract, artificial limbs, cesareans, fractures and urinary stones etc some 2600 years ago.
• India is also credited with invention of the art of navigation.
• Professor Jagdish Bose is the actual pioneer of wireless communication and it has been proved by IEEE.
• Four major religions of the world, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism originated in India.
• India is the largest English speaking nation in the world.